Tender awarded for John Hunter Health and Innovation Precinct
- October 16, 2022
- Posted by: Madrigal Admin
- Category: Tender News
Multiplex has just been announced (Thursday 13 October 2022) as the main works contractor for the John Hunter Health and Innovation Precinct redevelopment. It will provide health services to Newcastle, Greater Hunter and Northern NSW communities. The new $835 project aims to deliver upgraded health services and thousands of jobs with the appointment of the main works contractor.
The NSW Government is investing in a major health redevelopment for the Hunter community. It is promising to bring in the latest technology and most up-to-date research into the hospital to ensure patients receive the best and most contemporary healthcare.
The precinct aims to be a centre of excellence and innovation. It aims to attract the most skilled and experienced clinicians to work in the facilities, and to boost health outcomes for local patients.
The John Hunter Health and Innovation Precinct is due for completion in 2026 and will include:
- a seven-storey acute services building
- emergency department and more adult and paediatric critical care spaces (to meet projected future demand of over 95,000 presentations per annum)
- birthing suite and inpatient maternity unit
- neonatal intensive care unit and special care nursery
- five procedure rooms for endoscopy and minor procedures
- rooftop helipad and more than 900 additional car spaces for staff and visitors
- Provide 22 operating theatres and nine interventional suites to respond to significantly increasing demand
The John Hunter Health and Innovation Precinct will create around 1,500 direct jobs, with the potential to support thousands of indirect jobs over the life of the project. During the peak of construction, up to 800 workers are expected to be on site each day and about 70 per cent of the work will be supported by local businesses.
Significant progress has already been made on site, in preparation for construction of the new seven-story acute services building to begin in the coming weeks.