Do we work well with subject matter experts?
- August 30, 2022
- Posted by: Madrigal Admin
- Category: Tender Success Blog
The main question I get asked when someone rings Madrigal Communications wanting help with a tender is whether I have experience in their sector.
DO YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE?
The answer is usually yes—we do have experience across most sectors. But the question always causes me a twinge of anxiety.
Why would I be anxious?:
- We are experts at interpreting the procurement environment in which you work and in creating a winning strategy
- We are experts in presenting your solution in way that is easily understood and assessed favourably
- We are experts in creating a professionally presented proposal or tender that will increase your chance of winning the contract
- But we are NOT experts at your work
If you want a winning bid you have to show the purchaser that you have the best value solution in the procurement process. To do this you have to have a team of subject matter experts available to create the best solution.
WHAT IS A SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT?
A subject matter expert (SME) provides knowledge and expertise in a specific subject, business field or technical area. A SME has a high level of understanding regarding their particular subject that is not common elsewhere in an organisation or in the market.
There is a wide range of subject matter experts needed to create a tender solution. These include:
- technical—analysing and explaining the complexities of your product or service
- estimators—sourcing and managing the most appropriate suppliers and creating the best pricing determination
- operational people—developing solutions and methodologies that will include WHS, environmental processes and quality control
- process designers—putting together plans for construction or operational delivery
- contract coordinators—reviewing the contractual obligations and advising on amendments
- finance and commercial—developing the business risk profile including insurances and financial capabilities
SO WHAT SHOULD YOU ASK ME?
The question that I would love to be asked (in my imagined universe) is—are you able to work with us to create the best possible solution?
This is what makes us expert at writing tenders. Our ability to work closely with subject matter experts to create and present the best possible solution to the tender.
HOW WE WORK WITH SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS
Our expertise is being able to work closely with subject matter experts to understand their content and determine the most convincing way to present it.
Creating a winning tender comes from being able to clearly articulate your organisation’s solution and highlight the key benefits. This is our expertise.
So when you ring me, please do not ask me if I have experience in your sector but, instead, ask me how I will work with your SMEs to present the best possible solution!